It’s the weekend, and weekends mean tackling bigger projects. My husband’s dad came up on Saturday to see the new house, and we then recruited my best friend’s dad to
make sure we didn’t flood the house supervise the washer/dryer project, since he’s done this several times already. The current washer hookups are attached to a cement sink in the basement, and the idea of moving a washer and dryer down the narrow stairs, and then carrying laundry for 7 people up and down the stairs each day provided plenty of motivation for finishing this project as early as possible.
To work on the washer, they removed a large section of drywall for access to redo the water and drain lines. Water was turned off both inside the house and at the street to make sure we didn’t spring a leak mid-project. The water lines leading out of the wall were cut and new, taller copper lines were soldered in. The drain line was turned and attached to a new PVC pipe. All three lines were brought up to a new recessed box.
Scrap wood was placed in the former cabinet “hole.” From the looks of things, someone installed the cabinet, then poured cement over the entire floor. Removing the cabinet left a 1 3/4″ deep space where the washer needs to sit level. This is obviously not a permanent solution, but it’ll do until I’m ready to focus on the total overhaul of the laundry room.
When we turned on the water again, the guys got to celebrate because NO LEAKS!!
Just in case it sounds like we have this whole renovation thing under control, this part of the project took three trips to Lowe’s, the discovery of running water in every bathroom from children turning on faucets while the water was shut off (causing a separate leak downstairs), and the project that should’ve taken four hours is turning into two days. Still, it’s rewarding to see the progress!
Up next, we’ll be running the new wiring and exhaust for the dryer. Oh the joys! And I can’t wait to show you the beauty I found this weekend!